Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ridiculously Decadent and Moderately Healthy Triple Chocolate Muffins for a sick little lady.

Last night was a small version of parenthood hell.

 MissAngelBaby was up, I swear, the ENTIRE night. She's got advanced mama-itis, which forces her to only be able to sleep on my head, apparently. When I last attempted to roll her off my nose and mouth in a desperate attempt to breathe, she sat straight up and started cackling like a loon. Wide awake, she decided to pound me with her pumpkin-head for several hours, whilst I negotiated her return to slumber to no avail. 

Eventually, when I could see the branches through the blinds, (that's my daily breaking point), I woke up my husband and sent them both downstairs, where he managed to get her to go back to sleep. (Of course.)

Less than three hours later, MissLittleGirlAngel woke up with a fit of coughing and tears. She's had a cold for five days, and I was letting it play itself out, but she woke up moaning in pain in her left ear. (Yes, she knew what to call it!!!! Yay, me!!!) 

A dose of tylenol and about twenty minutes of the three year old dozing on my head (is my head especially soft?) she woke again, and off to the doctor she went with her daddy, while I stayed home with my wild butted little nursling.

The verdict: an ear infection. Normal for us with colds. Ten days worth of amoxicillin and a cranky child to boot. On Thursday. Thursdays are ALREADY crazy.

Well, I wanted to get some nutrition in her when she got home, and with this kid that either means sausage, chicken, or chocolate. I don't have any sausage or chicken right now, because I'm working with turkey and ham leftovers.

So, chocolate it was. I took my trusty chocolate chip muffin recipe and kicked it up a notch or seven, adding some healthy alternatives, mostly so I didn't have guilt for feeding a sick kid cupcakes for breakfast. 

It's only okay for grown ups to eat cake for breakfast. True story.

So here's what I did...

The Original Recipe (courtesy of Mr.Breakfast.com) My changes bolded
Chocolate Chip Muffins
(12 servings)    Printable Version

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 Cup all purpose flour and 1 Cup whole wheat
  • 1/3 cup light-brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder (round the teaspoons a bit)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup milk  3/4 C Skim milk
  • 1/2 cup butter -- melted and cooled  1/2 C Mashed banana or other puree such as applesauce
  • 2 eggs - beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 package (12 oz) chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans -- chopped  1/2 C Hershey's baking cocoa
  • Chocolate glaze, recipe coming tomorrow. 
Preheat oven to 400 F. and grease up twelve muffin cups.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder,cocoa, and salt. In another bowl, stir together milk, eggs, butter banana, and vanilla until blended. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add milk mixture and stir just to combine. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Spoon batter into muffin cups; bake 15-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean. Remove muffin tin to wire rack; cool 5 minutes and remove from tins to finish cooling.



Drizzle with glaze.
Serve warm.



The glaze recipe has to wait because I'm irritated about another convenience product on the market, and it's just going to have to wait till tomorrow, because it's Thursday, and I have to force feed my monster chocolate muffins now and put her to bed in time to get ready for work and put laundry away.  If you absolutely MUST glaze before I get tomorrow's blog done, then melt equal parts chocolate and heavy cream in the microwave, stirring every thirty seconds or so, then do a Jackson Pollock on the tops of the hot muffins.

Yes. On the hot muffins.
They are fabulous.

No comments: