Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rich Poor Food

My kids are sitting down to plates of leftovers right now. Steaming, huge plates of reheated lasagna, risotto, leftover veggies sauteed with garlic.

And they are HOUSING them. MissAngelLittleGirl is not really putting down her fork, except to pick up her wine glass, at the tiny bistro table I've set up for them.

Yes. Her wine glass. Because we are not having 'leftovers', we are EXPERIENCING a tour of Italy.

Yes, the popular Olive Garden dish. I've got grape juice in wine glasses, a fab assortment of dishes to sample, and three happy little girls.

Happy little angels= happy Mommy. Oh, and Garfield is showing- you can't have a fancy dinner without a show! And what better show, than a cat that loves lasagna!
I am a parenting genius (and a modest one!) Or, I have far too much time on my hands. But it brings me to another point.

You can do things one of two ways. You can stretch your grocery dollars by eating every bit of leftovers in the fridge....(Awwwww, Mooooooommmmmm, can't we have something else?) Or you can have a little fun with it... You can make a fabulous Vegas Buffet by layering objects under a tablecloth (like boxes or bowls turned upside down to create steps). Place the dishes of food on the steps...and honey, that's art.

You can have scrambled eggs for dinner because you're broke-or you can make a fabulous cheese souffle. The choice is up to you. But the attitude you do it with...that's what the kids reflect.

Oh, and by the way, leftovers usually suck because they get dry. You need to moisten them prior to heating. A bit of milk for lasagna, a bit of broth for risotto, a bit of gravy or broth or even water goes a long way.

Make sure they get heated to 165, and serve it with panache. Your kids won't know what hit them. It's all about the packaging, right?

What are your leftover tips?

4 comments:

Karren Haller said...

I LOVE IT, what a uniques and cute idea, put out the specials dishes, and WINE Glasses, wow special, reminds me of when I had tea parties. But this is with real food, awesome mom.

I am now following your blog and hope that you will come follow mine as well.
http://livelaughlovetoshop.blogspot.com and
http://ohmyheartsie.blogspot.com
Thanks have a great weekend. Karren
xoxo

Karren Haller said...

I also tweeted about your cute story!!
Wink! Karren

ShanimalsCrackers.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for following me. I'm YOUR newest follower.

Well, I'm a child of leftovers. We can't waste any bit of food in my house, my dad says. (By the way, I just went to Olive Garden and had their Tour of Italy--SO good) Our tips to eating leftovers: eat 'em before they've been in the fridge for a week. That's all. Excuse me, I have soup that's been in the fridge for a week. I have to go finish it off now...

DIAPERS in the DESERT said...

Love it!!! What a wonderful and fun way too look at left-overs!!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I am new follower of yours. Have a wonderful rest of the week. Off to read more.

DiapersintheDesert.blogspot.com