Monday, January 10, 2011

The end of a bad money month...clean out the fridge soup.

It's been a bad money month.

Murphy's law reigns supreme of course. How bad, you ask? Not bad enough that I've lost a single wink of sleep, but we've had a couple of setbacks. A trip to the ER, lost days of work due to illness, bad tires.

Yeah, it's tight this month, so the grocery budget is tighter than it normally is, and I really want to make my grocery budget s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

So, what to make for dinner when I normally would have gone shopping on Friday but want to wait till next Friday?

Refrigerator Soup. It's what's for dinner.

That's what I call it when I produce a pot of soup out of what ever is lying around, and usually the results are so good that my family asks for it again. Of course, I'll never be able to make it again, because, I won't remember what was in the refrigerator, unless I write it down.

So here we are...
I had a lone chicken breast. Well, that doesn't go very far, so we added six strips of bacon. There was about a half a quart of homemade chicken broth, a bag of corn, a half a bag of frozen roasted red peppers diced, leftover pierogi filling and I'm never out of flour...

So, soup.

Start with the bacon- saute it in a bit of butter till extra crispy. Then save a bit of the drippings in the pot and drain the rest. Saute the chicken, diced, in the bacon fat, then add the red peppers and a diced onion. The heat is on medium at this point-you don't want the bacon fat to blacken. Sprinkle the whole thing with flour to make a paste, and pour in the chicken stock, corn, leftover potatoes, and one raw potato, diced. Season with tarragon, chives, salt and pepper.

Top with shredded cheddar if you've got it, and thank God for plentiful food, even when money is tight.

No comments: