Saturday, July 10, 2010

Samples worth mentioning...

     Everyone knows how I love samples... little packages of frugal goodness that make me happy and stretch my budget just a little further than it already is. I spend a couple of minutes every day scoping out all the latest freebies, and have gotten more than my share of free lunches and mini bottles of shampoo suitable for travel. Everyone once in a while, I'll get a company's offering and think it wasn't worth the postage they paid for it. Brawny sent me *A* paper towel. One towel, folded neatly in a package with a coupon. That one towel wasn't enough to convince me to buy anything. I did buy the product, one time on sale with the coupon, and at the end of the day, even a whole roll of them wasn't enough to convince me that they are anything but over priced. It was waste of their, and infinitely worse, my time.

    Now today's sample of taster's choice coffee was an absolute gift. (See photo, above.) Six little packages of instant coffee in different flavors, including a decaf.

   Well, we've been having a rough kind of day at Casa De Angels, and a little cup of coffee sounded, well, truly fabulous. And here's the kicker... it WAS truly fabulous! What a happy thing! In a world where instant coffee has the bitter metallic quality of a mouth full of seaweed, this was an absolute delight. I was shocked.

   Compared with the Starbucks VIA I received a sample of last month (one single serving envelope), it was absolute heaven. The VIA has that pretentious bitterness that I've come to expect from Starbucks products.

Evidently price doesn't account for quality. Or taste.

No comments: