Sunday, January 23, 2011

Homemade Drinking Chocolate Mix.

I'm FOREVER looking for ways to cheapen things up around here, while lessening the chemical lode in my kid's bodies.

Mixes are EXPENSIVE for what they are. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Tempting, but loaded with chemicals and all that.

I found a recipe for homemade hot cocoa mix, and I think it may be THE one. Although, this one needs to be taken DOWN a notch or two, being a foodie site. My kids don't know the difference between Vosges and Hershey's, so I'm not going to worry myself too much about it.

So, start with one empty cocoa mix tin. The tall cylinder.
Add 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa, a teaspoon of salt, two teaspoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of MINI chocolate chips. Put the lid back on and shake it to high heavens.

To serve, add 2 heaping teaspoons to empty mug, and add hot milk.  You will need to stir occasionally as the chocolate continues to melt...just like the Hershey's hugs hot cocoa packets, which were my favorite. If you don't like that effect, then go ahead and pulse the whole thing in the food processor a couple of times, so the chocolate morsels are broken up into even tinier pieces. I like the melting on the bottom of the cup thing, but that's just me.

Realistically, this is NOT any cheaper than a box of hot cocoa, but I can tell you everything that's in it, and MAN, is it good.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Lots of Fun with My FaMiLy said...

I bought a couple of Valentines jars at the Dollarama the other day for Ainsley's teacher & TA. I think this is what I'm going to fill them with :)
thanks
tish