Saturday, November 27, 2010

Not your average Turkey Leftovers

In an effort to maximize my turkey consumption, I roasted a turkey the day after Thanksgiving. At $1.29 a pound for a fresh, all natural bird, it was a steal. It came out really great, too. I used Alton Brown's recipe for brining and roasting the bird, cut up the leftovers and tucked them away promptly.


Tonight we will be having the really totally expected and boring, but still yummy and comforting, turkey pot pie.
  
For lunch today, though, I got inventive. I've been craving Mexican for a couple of days, and I figured turkey had to be as good as chicken in taquito form.

It was BETTER.

What I did...

 I took about six ounces of turkey breast, chopped it, along with a red pepper and a green pepper, and sauteed it in about a tablespoon of olive oil. I then steamed ten taco size corn tortillas in the microwave, and hit the turkey mixture with a shot of tequila and a squeeze of fresh lime, and sprinkled on cumin, cayenne, paprika, and dried chipotles.  Hindsight being 20/20, I would have stirred in some leftover corn and cilantro, but hey, this is my first shot at this one. Also, a bit of salt. (I kind of figured the turkey would carry the dish, but I simply salted the finished product and it was fine).

Then, I sprayed a baking dish with olive oil and rolled a couple of tablespoons of the turkey mixture into each tortilla, placing them seam side down, packed tightly up against each other. Then lightly sprayed the rolls with olive oil again.

 I baked them for about twenty minutes, until crisp and golden, at 400 degrees, and served them with shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa.

 The oldest child ate three. Let's just say, they were GOOD. And at 120 calories a piece, they are pretty guilt free.

No comments: